jA0GCrZHAc6tUwR2BjdsX3ulDRI Addison’s Disease in Cats-Cat care | my cat care blog

Monday 9 September 2013

Addison’s Disease in Cats-Cat care

Addison’s Disease in Cats
Hypoadrenocorticism is characterized by deficient production of glucocorticoids (cortisol) and/or mineralocorticoids (aldosterone). 
Mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids are hormones normally produced by the adrenal glands, which are located near the kidneys. Both of these hormones are critical to the healthy functioning of the body, and an abnormal increase or decrease of either of these hormones can lead to serious health problems if not addressed in time. 
Deficient production of both these hormones can affect the nervous system, the gastrointestinal system, the kidneys, or the cardiovascular system, and as a result, can lead to a number of symptoms, notably weakness, dehydration, low blood pressure, depression, heart toxicity, vomiting, blood in feces, and weight loss.

 No breed predilection is reported in cats, though it is very rarely reported in cats overall.
Symptoms can vary depending on the duration of the problem. Life-threatening symptoms are usually observed in acute episodes of this disease. 
The following symptoms are commonly observed in cats:
Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) deficiencyMetastatic tumorsLong term glucocorticoid withdrawal
You will need to give your veterinarian a thorough history of your cat's health and onset of symptoms. 
Your veterinarian will perform a thorough physical exam on your pet, including routine laboratory tests, a complete blood count, biochemistry profile, and urinalysis. 
The complete blood count may reveal anemia, an abnormally high number of eosinophils (a type of white blood cells that readily stains with eosin dye), and an increased number of lymphocytes (also a type of white blood cell) called (lymphocytosis).

Serum biochemistry testing may reveal an abnormally higher level of potassium, and an accumulation in the blood of urea - nitrogenous waste products that are usually excreted out of the body through the urine (azotemia). 
Other findings include lower levels of sodium (hyponatremia) and chloride (hypochloremia), increased levels of calcium (hypercalcemia), increased liver enzymes, including ALT and AST, and low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). The urinalysis may reveal a low concentration of urine. 

The definitive test for diagnosing this condition is by detecting the levels of cortisol in the body. Normally the adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) is produced by the pituitary gland, which then stimulates the adrenal glands to release their hormones. 
ACTH can be injected into the body to test the normal response functions of the adrenal glands.
 If your cat’s adrenal glands do not show an increase in the release of hormones after being given ACTH, then the diagnosis of hypoadrenocorticism will be confirmed. 
 Visual diagnostic procedures, like X-ray and ultrasound, may reveal smaller than normal adrenal glands.


A medical condition involving excessive thirst
The gland that is found at the bottom of the brain whose job is to maintain appropriate levels of hormones in the blood

The product of protein being metabolized; can be found in blood or urine.
An in-depth examination of the properties of urine; used to determine the presence or absence of illness

A heightened number of lymphocytic leukocytes in the blood of an animal
The prediction of a disease’s outcome in advance
Low amounts of glucose in the blood

The condition of having urea and other nitrogenous elements in an animal's blood.
A condition of the blood in which normal red blood cell counts or hemoglobin are lacking.
The amount of pressure applied by the blood on the arteries.

A medical condition in which the body has lost fluid or water in excessive amounts

The digestive tract containing the stomach and intestine
Term used to imply that a situation or condition is more severe than usual; also used to refer to a disease having run a short course or come on suddenly.

21 comments :

dog grooming said...

I like your site

Web Design Delhi said...

Very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better. Keep it up.

Water Park in Delhi NCR said...

Great article, Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

Places to visit in Gurgaon said...

I can see that you possess a degree of expertise on this subject, I would very a lot like to hear much more from you on this subject matter – I have bookmarked this page and will return soon to hear additional about it.

Chartered Accountant Delhi said...

I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

Places to visit in Gurgaon said...

It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

Chartered Accountant Delhi said...

What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

Event Planner said...

This is wonderful. I am not quite much with the internet, but I believe that what I just read is some good material. Thanks for writing such wonderful article. God bless.

Mobile App Development Delhi said...

It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us...

Mobile App Developers Delhi said...

I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

Company Registration Delhi said...

Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

Water Park in Delhi NCR said...

Thanks for sharing. I hope it will be helpful for too many people that are searching for this topic. Keep posting and keep this forum a great place to learn things.

Service Tax Registration Delhi said...

I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

Picnic Locations in Delhi NCR said...

Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

Place for birthday parties said...

What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

Places to visit in Delhi-NCR said...

Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

Places to visit in Delhi-NCR said...

It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

Theme Parties in Gurgaon said...

I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

Mobile App Developers said...

Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

Gst experts delhi said...

I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips.

حمزاوي said...


شركة صيانة و تنظيف و انشاء مسابح بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بلدمام

© my cat care blog - Template by Blogger Sablonlari - Header image by Deviantart